I have a shared MySQL database library for the various XBMC installs I have. One of the reasons I purchased an Ouya was as a cheap replacement to an older XBMC box I had. Things got interesting when I tried to edit my advancedsettings.xml file on the Ouya. How to do it? There isn’t a text editor or SSH access. I had to copy the file from the Ouya to another PC, edit it with what I needed, and then copy it back.
Keep in mind that what I’m going to describe below will install XBMC version 13 on the Ouya. If the other installs around your house are not using version 13 this may mess up your database. I had version 12 installs and my DB was fine, good luck!
- Backup your XBMC database.
- Install XBMC for Ouya. This is a dead simple tutorial that worked for me.
- If you don’t have one already, create a shared folder on your PC. This is where we will put the advancedsettings.xml for editing.
- On the Ouya, launch XBMC. Go to Settings->Appearance->File Lists and pock mark ‘Show hidden files and directories’.
- Go back to the main XBMC menu, go to Settings and then File Manager
- Add two sources, one should be the shared folder on your PC, the other should the userdata XBMC folder on the Ouya.
- The XBMC folder on the Ouya is /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata
- In the shared folder on your PC, make an advancedsettings.xml file. I just copied one from another XBMC install.
- Back on the Ouya, copy the advancedsettings.xml file into the userdata folder. Do this by highlighting the file, then pressing the Ouya button on the controller, then select copy from the menu that pops up.
- Exit and then restart the Ouya. You’re done.